Maintenance Tips

Your furnace and air conditioner should be serviced once a year.
If you have installed an underground sprinkler system, please remember it is your responsibility to have the system shut down and have the lines blown out so there is no winter damage to the pipes. Also any sprinkler heads close to the driveways should be marked before winter to avoid damage by the plows.
Chimneys Units are checked on a 3 year rotating bases, however, if you use your fireplace frequently, you should have it checked annually.
All smoke detectors in the units are hard wired. There are no batteries to replace; however, you should check them to make sure they work and if not, they will need to be replaced. At the same time it would be good to give them a vacuuming because dust builds (as well as spider webs) up in them, causing them to malfunction.
Gardens At the end of the summer clean out old plantings and dispose of them. Make sure any garden areas are left in a neat condition until the next season.
The Facility Department would like to stress the importance of shutting off your outside water faucets, and disconnecting all hoses to the outdoors and putting them away for the winter. A few minutes of preventative maintenance will minimize the potential of your outside faucet pipe freezing, breaking, and causing inside water damage.

Due the variety of Ridgefield unit designs, we have several different types of faucets. The winterizing procedures are as follows:

If your outside faucet has an inside shut-off valve (found on all faucets that have a brass handle) the inside valve should be closed to cut off the water supply, and the outside faucet should be left open.

Deerfield Units – shut off the valve in the basement, which is located on the rear wall near the patio door. Open the outside facet and leave it open for the winter.  Loosen the small round drain cover on the side of the inside valve sufficiently to let the eater drain, and then leave this cover loose for the winter.

If your unit has an outside “Frost Free” type faucet you do not have to do anything.

You can call the Management Office if you need assistance, or if you are unsure about the type of faucet you have or how to winterize it.